Cooler mornings in October have us craving a warm breakfast. We found this recipe and have been making it ever since. Serves 2
2/3 cup of pumpkin puree (I use 1/2 14oz can)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup water
3/4 cup almond milk
5-6 finely chopped pitted dates
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 Granny Smith apple. cored (optional)
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1. In a medium pot, heat pumpkin on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until the pumpkin is reduced by half or a deep golden brown.
2. Stir in spices and cook for another 30 seconds to blend the flavors.
3. Add the salt and rolled oats, water and milk, stirring to bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the dates and continue to stir while the oatmeal thicken (about 204 minutes more). Remove from heat and put a lid on it for an additional 5 minutes. Meanwhile chop apple into bite size pieces and chop walnuts for topping.
5. Stir in vanilla extract and serve.
Note: if you have no dates, use 2-3 teaspoons of maple syrup for sweetness.